Ravens: We’ve had direct talks with Colin Kaepernick
Despite the Baltimore Ravens signing backup quarterback David Olson last week, the team has not closed the door on bringing in Colin Kaepernick
Speaking at a fan forum on Sunday, Ravenspresident Dick Cass said the team has had direct discussions with Colin Kaepernick, per the Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec.
Cass added that Kaepernick wants to play in 2017 and that the Ravens are weighing a decision.
The Ravens entered the market for backup quarterbacks after Joe Flacco tweaked his back last week. Coach John Harbaugh said last week he’s had several discussions with Kaepernick during the offseason.
Cass and owner Steve Bisciotti also said the team has reached out to veteran players, Ray Lewis, fans and various sponsors to gauge the reaction to potentially signing Kaepernick, who kneeled during the national anthem during games in 2016 to raise awareness for social injustices.
“We want to get a sense of what the attitude is out there and how Colin would handle it if he were to come, how he’d handle it and how that would change people’s views,” Cass said, per the team’s site.
NFL Network’s Michael Silver reported on Saturday that Kaepernick would be excited to join the Ravens, but has had zero discussions with any team about money at this point.
Kaepernick could provide the Ravens with competition for backup QB Ryan Mallett, who has reportedly struggled during team practices during training camp.
Kaepernick is not the only veteran quarterback the Ravens could bring in as Flacco insurance. Bisciotti told fans the team is discussing working out Robert Griffin III, who visited the Chargers last week.